North Korea Begins Repatriation of US Military Remains from Korean War
According to President Trump in an interview on Friday, North Korea has begun the repatriation of US Military remains from the Korean War. Returning the remains was a key point in the summit, according to AJC.
“They are already starting to produce the remains of these great soldiers. He’s giving us back our great heroes who died. We’re getting the remains, and nobody thought that was possible. ” President Trump
He’s right about not thinking it was ever going to happen. Between 1996 and 2005, over thirty recovery missions – joint efforts between the US and DPRK- only managed to obtain 229 sets of remains. With the nuclearization of North Korea, the recovery missions were temporarily suspended due to the security of the teams being in jeopardy. There have been sporadic returns since then, but no mass effort.
American Military News reported,
In a statement signed by both Trump and Kim during the historic summit in Singapore, the two countries agreed to the “immediate repatriation” of those fallen service members who are already identified.
Roughly 7,800 Americans remain unaccounted for from the 1950-1953 war. The Korean military conflict technically lasted from 1950 to 1953 but was ended with a truce, not a peace treaty.
Of those 7,800 Americans, 5,300 are believed to have been lost in battles in North Korea or prisoner-of-war camps.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in said just a few days before the summit that talks about returning the remains of the missing Americans and South Koreans from the war was a top priority of the summit.
— EPluribusUnum (@gtsabag) June 16, 2018
US President Donald Trump said on Friday that the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has started to return the remains of the US soldiers missing in the Korean War. Trump… https://t.co/6cmlzXWoUN
— Global News Views (@GNewsViews) June 16, 2018
— David Thomas Sutton (@DTSutton) June 15, 2018
Featured photo: 3 sets of remains returned in 2015 by North Korea- screenshot