Jussie Smollett Officially Moves from Victim to Suspect

 In Domestic, Entertainment

The “handwriting has been on the wall” for sometime now in the Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. As of Feb 20, he officially became a suspect instead of a victim. He is suspected of filing a false police report – a Class 4 Felony. Testimony was being given to a grand jury.

UPDATE: Jussie Smollett was charged with Disorderly Conduct and Filing a False Police report in an indictment by a Cook County Grand Jury on Wednesday, according to NBC7.

The case moved quickly from a “racist hate crime” to a suspected fake. If Smollett wanted to get attention…he now has it. And all of the people who jumped on the “racist attack” bandwagon are now having to eat their words. Adding to the mess is the fact the Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx has recused herself from the case “out of the abundance of caution”, according to the Chicago Tribune.

How did this change of events happen? Police became suspicious initially because after reviewing hours and hours of CCTV videos, they found no evidence of the attack.

Thirteen days later, Smollett produced partial, redacted phone records, which were not what the department needed (we previously reported this). He refused to let the police access his phone to confirm his story.

When surveillance video of two men walking down the street appeared, Smollett said those two men could be his attackers. Not exactly two white guys who shouted “This is MAGA country.” They were two black men of Nigerian descent. Smollett knew them- they were extras on the set of “Empire.”

Another flag: it supposedly happened at 2 a.m. in Chicago, when the temperature was extremely cold. He just happened to go out for a sandwich in the middle of the night and get jumped…in Chicago…by two “white guys” with rope and bleach.

Thirteen days later, Smollett produced partial, redacted phone records, which were not what the department needed (we previously reported this). He refused to let the police access his phone to confirm his story.

As we previously reported, the two black brothers,
Ola and Abel Osundairo, were questioned by Chicago police. The police learned that Smollett had hired the two men to stage the attack. So they were released without charges and the focus turned to Smollett.

The two men also claimed that Smollett sent himself a racist letter a few days before the ‘attack.’ The FBI and US Postal Inspector are now investigating this case as well as Chicago police. Sending those kind of letters through the mail is a Federal offense.

The “racist” letter received by Smollett on January 22.

A store surveillance video obtained by NBC News reporter Charlie De Mar shows the two black brothers purchasing supplies before the “attack.” According to the brothers, Smollett told them what to buy. The surveillance video of them purchasing items is in this tweet:

Police obtained a search warrant for the Osundairo brothers’ apartment.

Blue Lives Matter reported,

They searched the men’s apartment and found rope matching what was used to create the noose in the attack on Smollett, as well as magazines with missing pages that may have been used to create the threatening letter.

Law enforcement sources said one of the brothers purchased the rope at the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in Ravenswood with money provided by Smollett.

The Osundairo brothers told police that Smollett paid them $3,500 for the staged attack, and that the three of them actually rehearsed it ahead of time.

All in all, Jussie Smollett is now in a heap of trouble.

Featured photo: screenshot via Charlie De Mar video

Showing 2 comments
  • Tammy
    Reply

    I hope the two guys he payed get in a heap of trouble for being in in it

pingbacks / trackbacks

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search

us berkeley