Frederick Douglass High School Shooting

 In Breaking News, Domestic

Baltimore, MD – One person is in custody, another transported to the hospital, after a shooting at Frederick Douglass high school in Baltimore. Police reported that a visitor to the school walked in and shot an adult male staff member. The shooter was quickly taken into custody.

Officers are on the scene of a shooting at Frederick Douglass High School in the 2300 block of Gwynns Falls Parkway. An adult male was shot at location. Suspect taken into custody at scene.— Baltimore Police (@BaltimorePolice) February 8, 2019

UPDATE on Frederick Douglass High School: Shooter is in custody. STUDENTS AND STAFF ARE SAFE.Baltimore Schools✔@BaltCitySchoolsALERT: Frederick Douglass High School is on lockdown, following a shooting of a staff member by an adult visitor to the school. STUDENTS AND REMAINING STAFF ARE SAFE, and police are on site. We will update as more information becomes available.209:43 AM – Feb 8, 2019

At around 12:15pm, a man entered the vestibule area of Frederick Douglass high school with a gun. A 56 year old hall monitor stopped the 25 year old suspect, a confrontation occurred, and the staffer was shot. But the gunman was taken into custody “within seconds,” according to police at a news conference. The school went into immediate lockdown. No students were anywhere near the incident and all other staff members are safe, according to WJZ-TV in Baltimore.

The victim is now in serious but stable condition after being transported to Shock Trauma, according to police. The students were released to go home early at just after 1 p.m..

The school is reportedly equipped with metal detectors that are taken down after the beginning of each school day. Police believe the suspect came to the school to confront someone else and was simply stopped before he could get inside. The suspect’s name as not been released, so we’ll update this story when that occurs.

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search

massachusetts college