Feinstein and Cronies Once Again Introduce Assault Weapons Ban
Senator Dianne Feinstein and a plethora of her lefty Democrat cronies have introduced the “Assault Weapons Ban of 2019.” Saying that they must get “military-style assault weapons” off the street, they have stepped firmly into the murky world of 2nd amendment destruction. AR platform weapons are not “weapons of war” – they are simply the next generation of standard rifles.
From Feinstein’s website :
- Bans the sale, manufacture, transfer and importation of 205 military-style assault weapons by name. Owners may keep existing weapons. [Note: the original ban included 20 guns, not 205]
- Bans any assault weapon that accepts a detachable ammunition magazine and has one or more military characteristics including a pistol grip, a forward grip, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding or telescoping stock. Owners may keep existing weapons.
- Bans magazines and other ammunition feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, which allow shooters to quickly fire many rounds without needing to reload. Owners may keep existing magazines.
Exemptions to bill:
- The bill exempts by name more than 2,200 guns for hunting, household defense or recreational purposes.
- The bill includes a grandfather clause that exempts all weapons lawfully possessed at the date of enactment.
- Requires a background check on any future sale, trade or gifting of an assault weapon covered by the bill.
- Requires that grandfathered assault weapons are stored using a secure gun storage or safety device like a trigger lock.
- Prohibits the transfer of high-capacity ammunition magazines.
- Bans bump-fire stocks and other devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire at fully automatic rates.
Updates to Assault Weapons Ban of 2017:
- Bans stocks that are “otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability of a firearm.”
- Bans assault pistols that weigh 50 or more ounces when unloaded, a policy included in the original 1994 ban.
- Bans assault pistol stabilizing braces that transform assault pistols into assault rifles by allowing the shooter to shoulder the weapon and fire more accurately.
- Bans Thordsen-type grips and stocks that are designed to evade a ban on assault weapons.
In attempts to appeal to the people, she has placed in her treatise some statements like “exempts by name 2,200 weapons for hunting, self defense and recreational purposes.” oh, and “grandfathered”…reminds us of those “You can keep your doctor” statements. Which turned out to be phony, just as this feels phony.
Tom Knighton from Bearing Arms noted,
While the past bills have been an annoyance that could be bypassed, this one looks and feels different. This looks like it could be a killer. The 10-round detachable magazine limit, coupled with a ban on the stocks used to side-step assault weapons bans by removing the pistol grip would be a massive blow and difficult to work around.
Make no mistake, this bill is not nearly as tame as her first one in 1994. None of the items in this bill will stop mass shootings like the one at Virginia Tech, which was accomplished with two handguns. It will not stop any mass murder because it aims at the tool instead of the purveyor of that tool. The only thing it will do is destroy the ability of ordinary citizens to enjoy their weapon of choice on the ranges in America.
Feinstein’s 25 co-sponsors (Chuck Schumer, Dick Durbin, Kamala Harris, etc) are the usual anti-gun culprits who seriously have trouble understanding which is the business end of a gun. They don’t care about the facts. They are clueless about a “semi-automatic” gun is as opposed to a fully automatic. And they don’t care. They just want guns out of the hands of the citizenry. All except for themselves of course.
Don’t let your Senators fall for it- make sure they know your stance on the 2nd amendment and this egregious attempt to destroy it.
Featured photo: screenshot Dianne Feinstein via Bearing Arms